Alright fam, this one is easy and straight to the point. But wait, is it just me or have I posted too many sweet treats this week? I posted my epic plantain cake and then my akara plantain and now this one; my signature twisted doughnuts? What is wrong with me? Oh my goodness, maybe it’s the ovulation! Do you feel the desire to eat sweet things during your ovulation period ladies? My craving is so real, I’m just sorry for my poor belly fat that is trying hard to melt. Oh boy! It’s a shame!
Anyway, I replicated this extremely easy-to-make twisted doughnuts from my home economics class days the other day with just butter, milk, sugar, yeast and flour. But of course, I added my signature flavors – vanilla and cinnamon – to give it that extra Zeeliciousness. Oh boy, the taste was just heavenly divine.
The doughnut-making process in itself is pretty simple. BUT, you need to give it time baby. Time to rise. Between, have you noticed that time is a key factor for great and beautiful and delicious things in this life? Think about the time needed for a baby to mature in the womb, the time needed for a seed to germinate, become a full-grown tree and bear good fruits. It’s all about time fam. Don’t rush in this life. Whatever it is you want to get hold of or achieve, whether it’s finding a spouse or starting a business, take your time. That’s a life’s lesson I sure have learned. So give your yeast the time it needs to work that dough and rise. You’ll obtain great doughnuts that a crispy on the outside and soft and spongy on the inside at the end and you’ll love it!
So anyways, to make this twisted doughnut, all you have to do is melt your butter, add in milk, sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix the flour and let it rise for about 40 minutes depending on the room temperature. Deflate it and then let it sit and rise some more. Roll it all out, twist it and fry till golden brown. I mixed some cinnamon in two tablespoons of sugar and sprinkled it on top. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! You can choose not to use any sugar and enjoy your doughnut with my special African hot pepper sauce instead. Mehn that tastes insanely delicious too.
Have I convinced you to make some twisted doughnuts? Great then! The video recipe for these twisted doughnuts will be up on YouTube this weekend. Please be sure to subscribe for more weekly healthy recipes and everything wholesome health. Tag @shape_up_african so I can feature your food on my Instagram feed and do not forget to check out and follow me on Facebook and Twitter for behind the scenes with Auntie Zee.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk, skimmed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, whole
- 2 ¼ teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 4 teaspoons vanilla sugar), optional
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Melt butter in a not pan or pot. Remove from heat and add milk immediately to the hot melted butter. Stir well.
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla or vanilla sugar, egg and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly. The mixture should be lukewarm by now. Add yeast, mix and let it sit for 5 minutes to activate.
- Add flour bit-by-bit and mix or knead using your hands. Cover with the lid of a pot or a clean kitchen towel. Let it rise for about 40 minutes or until the dough has doubled its size.
- Deflate or knead the dough again and cover in a warm place and let it rise again till the size doubles.
- Now spread some flour on a working surface. Use your fingers to cut the dough into 16 equal round balls. When this is done, use your inner palms to roll out each ball into long spaghetti-like shape only THICKER.
- Twist your spaghetti threads and squeeze the ends tight so it does not loosen when being fried. Do that for all the balls until complete.
- Leave your uncooked doughnut twists to rise for 5 minutes, turning each side.
- Meanwhile heat 2 litres of vegetable oil in a pot till hot. When hot, reduce the heat to medium and fry your doughnuts till golden brown on each side.
- If you like some extra sweetness, mix 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon together and sprinkle the mixture on your hot twisted doughnuts. If not, do not sprinkle any sugar, instead enjoy your doughnuts with hot pepper sauce.