Oven ‘fried’ rice on the menu today loves. I have been so busy lately taking driving classes. At what age ha! So I passed the theory exam on Monday yipeeeeee. That’s the good part. But prepping meals has been a real challenge. So this month, I share with you easy and delicious meals that can be made in 30-minutes or less. I call them my SUPA quick fix meals. Let us begin with this oven-‘fried’ rice.
There is hardly any fried rice recipe as quick and easy to make like this flavorful oven-‘fried’ rice. I used a variety of fresh veggies infused with Asian flavors. Soy and Oyster sauce are two ingredients that the Chinese use to make fried rice which gives it a unique flavor that my family loves.
How to cook oven ‘fried’ rice
This oven ‘fried’ rice can be made in a fix. All you need are some clever ingredients and a non-stick oven tray. Mix all ingredients together and pop it in the oven to cook at 200 degrees. I used basmati rice for this recipe. Didn’t parboil it because it takes just 8 to 10 minutes to cook. But you can definitely parboil your rice to cut cooking time.
SUPA TIP: Use chicken (bone) broth instead of water to enhance the chicken taste especially if you are using skinless chicken breast. When the skin and bones of the chicken are removed, the chicken loses about 40% of taste. So by using chicken bone broth, you restore the taste that bones, bone marrow, and chicken skin have back into your dish.
If you are on a low-carb African diet, ‘fried’ rice is not ideal for you as it is high in calories and carbohydrates. It is best for those who are maintaining their weight or on the STAR phase of the SUPA BOOTCAMP program. You can watch me make some by clicking the video below.
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to Instagram, Facebook or Twit me a photo. As always, I love seeing your creations. Keep in mind, I’ve got more SUPA recipes on my YouTube channel. You can try my take on Nigerian Efo Riro or make this extremely delicious meatballed scotch eggs. Here is a weight loss meal plan you can follow if you are trying to lose some weight. And don’t forget to hit the subscribe button if you haven’t done so already so you never miss a video recipe.
Cheers to your health from heritage.
- 1500g basmati rice, washed and drained
- 400g of skinless chicken breast,cubed
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables (green beans,peas, carrots & sweet corn)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. soysauce (mild)
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 2 small bayleaves
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 75ml of vegetable oil
- Chicken bone broth or hot water, enough to cover the rice
- Vegetable and chicken bouillon seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°.
- Add the oils, soy and oyster sauce in a non-stick baking tray and mix well.
- Add curry powder, thyme, ginger, white pepper, bay leaves, chicken breast and seasoning. Mix well.
- Now add rice and vegetables. Add chicken broth or hot water untill rice is completely cover. Season well with salt and your favorite seasoning.
- Cover with aluminion foil paper and bake for 15mins or untill your rice is cooked.
- 1. Reduce heat if your rice is burning but avoid adding extra water. Foil will cook rice without extra water.
- 2. Make sure you season well before you bake to avoid opening the foil papper and thereby losing heat.
- 3. You can omit the soy and oyster sauce if you do not like it in your fried rice.
Pin this for later: