When all you have at home are some tomatoes, onions, sardine fish and eggs, make egg stew. My beloved how wuna deh? Can I just say this? I cannot wait to finish my clinical monitoring course next week. Boy, this is course has completely wrecked havoc on my blogging schedule. For those who do not know I started a crash course in February. I know, too much big book. Ha! Wuna lif me so, I too like school (let me be, I love school) lol! But to be honest, these past 2+ months have been really REALLY busy. Thank God it will all be over next month.
So I came home about an hour ago, I came home wondering what the kids will eat for dinner and tomorrow. I did not have time to prepare meals for the week last weekend. Generally, I prepare three sauces or soups. Most often, I cook plain okra soup which would be eaten with any fufu, a pot of meatball stew to go with boiled plantains or sweet potatoes and either fish peppersoup or sautéed dark leafy greens to get our vegetables in.
Back to what birth this egg stew. After going through the fridge and my pantry for ingredients for a something I could make for a fix, all I found was two tins of chopped tomatoes, a tin of sardine, eggs, and some spices. After a quick thought, it hit me, make some egg stew. I’m telling you this is egg stew is the true definition of a quick fix. I made this in under 30 minutes people and the taste was to die for. The kids enjoyed it with boiled rice.
If you are on a low carb diet like the keto diet, eat your egg stew with cauliflower or cabbage rice. For those of you maintaining a normal weight, reduce the oil and watch your carb portions. Make 1/4 of your plate carbs, 1/2 plate stew, and the other 1/4 salads.
Do you want me to show you how to cook this egg stew in one of my live cooking classes? Then leave a comment below. I’d love to welcome you to my Instagram and Facebook family. If you cook this meal, tag me @shape_up_african or on Facebook.
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 6 eggs, boiled
- 1 tin sardine or titus
- 4 tsps. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper powder
- 1 tsp. locust beans (dawadawa)
- Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- Beef bouillon seasoning to taste
- Salt to taste
- Boil eggs for 5 mins minutes, cool and peel. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot, add onion and fry for a minute or two.
- Add tomatoes and fry till water evaporates and tomatoes have thickened.
- Add garlic, locust beans, white pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, salt and seasoning and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Now add boiled eggs and sardine including the sardine oil. Fry for 2 more minutes and serve with boiled whole grain rice, plantains or yams.
- Bonne appetit!
- If you are on a low carb diet like the keto diet, eat your egg stew with cauliflower or cabbage rice. For those of you maintaining a normal weight, reduce the oil and watch ypur carb portions. Make 1/4 of your plate carbs, 1/2 plate stew and the other 1/4 salads.
Pin this for later: