My version of scotch eggs is the result of my food processor not blending almonds for almond milk properly. Because I couldn’t bring myself to throw the almond chaff away, I had to do something. The first thing that came into my mind were to make sweet almond bites. Next, I remembered that scotch eggs needed bread crumbs for coating. So I thought why not try using almond ‘crumbs’ instead. I’m glad I did.
My failed almond was quickly transformed into almond meal which is generally a coarser grind made from almonds that have their skin on. The ready-made almond meal can be bought from your local supermarket but you can follow the procedure below to make yours at home. Once I was done making this almond meal, it immediately dawned on me that any nut could be used for this recipe if the same procedure is used.
Can I just say sometimes a mishap is the best thing that can happen in the kitchen or even in life. Some of the best ideas come as a result of failure. So next time, you fail at something in this life, don’t give up, don’t be downcast. Find ways to make things right. Seek solutions and you will be surprised at what can come out of a bad situation.
Now back to the intention of this post. This is a must try recipe. In fact, the taste will confuse your brain for a moment, but as you munch on, you’ll quickly appreciate the savoriness of this almondy hot scotch eggs.
Try it out this easter and thank me later.
Happy and healthy cooking xoxo.
Hot Scotch Eggs
The savoriness and nuttiness of this almond crust hot scotch eggs will confuse your brain for a moment but as you munch on, you’ll quickly be ultra thankful you gave it a go!
300g minced Beef
1 red Onion
3 Basil leaves
4 Garlic cloves
6 Parsley leaves with stem
1 tsp. white Pepper
1/2 tsp. black Pepper
2 Tsp. Cassava flour
1 cup Almond (crushed)
2 vegetable Bouillon cubes
1 large Habanero pepper
Sea salt to taste
- Chop ingredients finely and mix with minced beef.
- Boil 5 eggs as desired, Immediately eggs are cooked, deep in ice water, let it it sit for 5 minutes, peel and set aside.
- Beat one egg into a bowl an set aside. Place cassava flour in a flat plate and set aside.
- Rob boiled eggs with a thin layer of cassava flour.
- Scoop minced beef mixture into your palms and roll beef around the eggs.
- Deep egg in beaten egg and then rob crushed almonds around it. When all egss are rolled, refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pot till very hot, then deep fry egg for just 30 seconds till brown, remove and continue cooking in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool and serve as an entrée at your event.
- 1. If you are using leftover crushed almond from making almond milk, spread the almonds on patchment paper and oven-grill for 5 minutes at 200 degress stirring constantl to avoid burns. This will give it a crispy feel and a crunchy taste.