Keto-approved scotch eggs anyone? I’m addicted to these eggs my friends I tell you. Sooooo good!
Did I mention, that I am a certified health and weight loss coach/nutritionist trying to lose weight after 3 births by caesarean section, 3 miscarriages, and a diabetes diagnosis? Hi! It’s nice to met you. 🙂 I’ve been on a strict low-carb African diet for 12 days now and I must say I am totally loving this starvation-free delicious way of eating to lose weight. If you are not familiar with a strict low-carb diet like the ketogenic diet, read THIS POST. In a nutshell, a strict low-carb diet is a great way to get your body to access and burn stored extra fat that it wouldn’t access if you continued eating carbohydrates. It’s a fast and healthy ‘diet’ for obese persons (generally with a Body Mass Index of 27+).
Since this diet requires limiting carbohydrates, I am constantly searching, twisting and testing recipes that will suit my current lifestyle. One food I totally enjoy is scotch eggs. Because scotch eggs are made with flour, I wanted a flourless alternative. About a year ago, a mishap in the kitchen gave birth to a gluten-free scotch egg variation using cassava flour. Check out the recipe HERE. Though totally delicious, it doesn’t fit my meal plan for this low-carb lifestyle at the moment. I also want to eat more white meat (poultry) as eating a lot of red meat is associated with increased risks of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and certain cancers and this can shorten your lifespan. We want to live long, don’t we? So limiting meat especially processed red meat is a great thing to do.
So to make this keto-approved scotch eggs, all you need is eggs, minced chicken breast without the skin, coconut flour and some common spices. The procedure is the same, the only difference is, I omitted the white flour. It can be eaten with hot pepper sauce or on its own with some tea for breakfast.
Was I able to convince you to try this recipe? If so then feed me with those wonderful comments of yours. Also, tag me at shape_up_african to get your food picture featured on my Instagram feed.
Have you SUBSCRIBED to my YouTube channel yet? Every week, I post new education (Fooducation) videos as well as recipes and my journey of faith, fitness, food and fashion. Click here to subscribe The video recipe for this meal will be on my channel on Saturday so please subscribe and tell your friends to spread this love around food.
Now let’s make some keto-approved scotch eggs.
- 500g Skinless chicken breast, minced
- 1/2 onion
- 3 Basil leaves
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 6 Parsley leaves with stem
- 1 tsp. white Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black Pepper
- 7 Eggs
- 4 tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 vegetable Bouillon cubes
- 1 large Habanero pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Chop ingredients finely and mix with minced chicken.
- Boil 6 eggs as desired, Immediately eggs are cooked, deep in ice water, let it it sit for 5 minutes, peel and set aside.
- Beat one egg into a bowl an set aside. Place coconut flour in a flat plate and set aside.
- Scoop minced chicken mixture into your palms and roll around an egg.
- Deep egg in beaten egg and then rob coconut flour around it. When all eggs are rolled, refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
- Rob patchment paper with coconut or olive oil. Bake eggs for 20 to 25 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or as a snack.
- You can use beef or turkey in place of chicken.
- Also substitute with almond flour or normal flour if you are not watching carbohydrates.
- You can deep-fry if you like. I baked to keep calories low.