Hey my lovelies. Still on the low-carb vegetable ‘swallow’ matta. Keto cabbage swallow is next in line. This swallow is for you if you are on a low-carb diet like the keto or my SUPA weight loss program but do not, cannot or just refuse to give up of enjoying delicious okra, eru, afang, egusi or ogbono soup. It is made from cabbage and psyllium husk. If you are new here, check out how to use psyllium husk to transform vegetables into swallow/fufu. Making swallow or fufu from vegetables is really simple. All you need to do is boil and blend the veggie you are using, add psyllium husk and stir until your vegetable has the fufu consistency.
I particularly love this swallow because it is made with one of the most effective foods for weight loss: cabbage. Cabbages are one of the most recommended foods for weight loss. Not only are cabbages excellent sources of vitamin C, they are low in calories, carbohydrates, and fats with a very low Glycemic index which implies that this cruciferous vegetable does not raise your blood sugar. Instead, it will help regulate it. Read more about the amazing health benefits of cabbage in this healthy sautéed cabbage post.
You would agree with me that cabbage has a very strong smell. That’s because cabbage contains sulphur and when cabbage is cooked, the sulfur that it contains actually multiplies! The longer it is cooked, the more it multiplies. It is this sulfur smell that gives off the strong cooked cabbage odor. Here is my SUPA home tip for reducing the cabbage smell.
- Slice of bread: Add a slice of bread (stale bread does the trick even better) in your cooking water. The bread will absorb some of the odors.
- Lemon juice or Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): You can also pour the juice of half a lemon or 1 tablespoon ACV in the cooking water. This will also reduce the bad smell resulting from cooking cabbage.
Your keto cabbage could be eaten with any African soup of choice. I love mine with my plain okra soup.
Have you SUBSCRIBED to my YouTube channel yet? Every week, I post new education (Fooducation) videos as well as recipes and my journey of faith, fitness, food and fashion. Click here to subscribe and spread the word with friends and family. Someone needs to hear this.
Now let’s get right to it!
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husk
- some water to blend
- Cut cabbage into small chunks.
- Steam untill really soft. If you do not own a steamer, cook with very little water untill soft.
- Using a food processor, blend with a bit of water.
- Remove excess water using a mesh cloth or a clean kitchen cloth.
- Add puréed cabbage to a pot, add psyllium and stir till it becomes thick and similar to pounded yam.
- Enjoy with soup of choice.
- You can use any othe veggie (cauliflower, carrot, garden egg, zuchinni etc.) to make swallow following this same method.
- Visit my Youtube Channel for more keto video recipes here ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxhNutfbQI