Once a week, skip the meat! You’d do your body, your wallet, and your environment a whole lot of good. On today’s meatless Monday menu, we have peppered fish (red snapper), grilled sweet potatoes and some tomatoes and cucumbers. Yum! This meal right here is so easy to make, yet oh-so-delicious.
I am a huge fan of anything fishy. Whether roasted like this Cameroonian roasted fish or as simple fish peppersoup, wherever there is fish, auntie Zee will answer present not only because most fish dishes can be cooked in a snap but also because of all the healthy goodness found in fish. Red snapper is loaded with essential vitamins especially vitamins D (which helps keep your bones healthy and strong as it aids in the absorption of vitamin C) and E (which helps support healthy red blood cell growth which aid in the transportation of oxygen).
Consuming red snapper is a good way of getting magnesium and selenium, two essential minerals which play a significant role as antioxidants, shielding your tissues from damage. Also, this delicious fish is a great source of omega-3-fatty acids which can help improve your blood lipid levels if you are suffering from diabetes. So you see? There is enough reason to just love (this)peppered fish.
How to cook peppered fish
Except otherwise stated, most of the recipes I share are the healthier versions of the original recipes. So to make my peppered fish, I spiced and ‘air-fried’ my fish using my favorite gadget at the moment – the Actifry. Guys, you definitely need this gadget in your kitchen. It will fry chicken, fish, meats, and chips of all kinds with as little as 1 tablespoon of oil. Talk about a reduction in calories without sacrificing taste. The Actifry is definitely a must-have in your kitchen. Alternatively, you could add 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil to your fish and oven-grill it. You wouldn’t achieve the same crispy fish but at least, you would save on calories and fat as compared to deep-frying. If you live in Nigeria, you can get the Actifry at Konga.
After air-frying my fish, I fried tomatoes, red and green bell peppers and scotch bonnet in a pan and obtained a thick paste. Then I mixed the fish and tomato-pepper sauce together. Oh my yum! Absolutely delicious. Did I forget to mention that I air-fried the sweet potatoes too? Well, now you know. I added some cherry tomatoes and cucumber to my plate et viola! A simple but outrageously delicious dish that your family can enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Let’s make some peppered fish shall we? If you give this recipe a try, be sure to Instagram, Facebook or Twit me a photo because as always I love seeing your creations. Keep in mind, I’ve got more SUPA recipes on my YouTube channel. You can try my easy garden egg stewor roast some fish this weekend too. Here is a weight loss meal plan you can follow if you are trying to lose some weight. And don’t forget to hit the subscribe button if you haven’t done so already so you never miss a video recipe.
- 1 large red snapper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tbsp. thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. oil
- Salt and seasoning
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper (tatashe)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (ata rodo)
- 1/2 a thumb-size ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. juice of one lemon
- A few drops of stevia or 1 tsp. cane sugar or honey
- Gut and clean your fish well. Add salt, seasoning, white pepper, thyme, curry powder and oil and let it season in the fridge for an hour.
- Either use and Actifry to fry your fish or grill it in the oven until tender. Set it aside.
- Peel and wash sweet potatoes. Add oil and salt and either grill in the oven or fry using your Actifry till crisp and tender. If you do not have an oven or an Actifry, you can just boiled your sweet potatoes.
- Blend all ingredients coarsely except the tomato paste and anions.
- Chop onions and fry in oil until transluscent. then add tomato paste and fry, adding water bit by bit if necessary so that sauye does not dry up. Once tomatoes are no longer sweet, add the blended ingredients and fry until all excess water has evaporated and stew has thickened. Now add your grilled fish to the stew and mix. Fry for about 5 minutes and serve with sweet potaoes.
- Chop or cube your cucumber and tomatoes. Mix ingredients for dressing in a seperate bowl before mixing your veggies with the dressing. If you are serving your salad later, drizzle the salad dressing just before you serve it. Enjoy!
Pin this for later: