No week goes by without okra soup in my home. Okra soup has been my favorite soup since childhood. I cannot really tell why. All I know is it required no effort, you just had to swallow. My mum always said ” the day this child refuses okra, just call an ambulance” :). That’s how much i loved and still love it and I think I have passed down the okra gene to my kids too.
With the knowledge acquired in nutrition, I have come to love okra even more for its low caloric value but it’s value of vitamins of the category A, thiamine, B6, C, folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, zinc and dietary fiber. If you just found out you are pregnant, okra is one of the highly recommended food for you and your baby because of its rich folic acid content which is essential in the neural tube formation of the fetus during 4-12 weeks of gestation period in the womb.
For those of you battling diabetes or pre-diabetes, okra can help adjust your blood sugar by regulating its absorption in the small intestine. See? good reasons (and more here) to include this wonder food in your diet.
I know some people do not like the slimy consistency of okra, so here is a tip from me to you:
Smart Cook’s Tip: To make okra less slimy, cover the pot whilst cooking.
I really love the way my mum cooked it in a peppersoup-like manner with nothing else but okra, and dried fish or meat. Simple yet so delicious. With mom’s recipe in mind, I made us some peppersoup okra this weekend with lots of fresh prawns, peeped it up with fresh spinach and dried fish. It is super healthy, very low-fat and low-calorie making it a great meal for weight loss and maintenance.
Happy and healthy cooking xoxo
Peppersoup Okra [No Oil]
A great dish for expectant mothers or diabetic patients, this simple but savory dish will warm your palates and make you go for seconds and thirds.
500 g fresh Okra
1/2 Mackerel (smoked)
250g smoked Turkey (optional)
1/4 teaspoon Limestone (optional)
A handful fresh Spinach
- Either chop okra and onion into small cubes or coarsely püree the ingredients.
- Boil smoked turkey boil, till half cooked, then add prawns, mackerel and crayfish, and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- In another pot, bring 1 cup of water to the boil and add limestone (this retains the green color of okra and makes it even slimmier). Skip this step if you do not want this effect.
- When limestone had dissolved, turn off the heat and add okra to the mixture using a spatula to beat up the okra for about a minute or two.
- Next, add okra to fish and prawn mixture and cook at medium heat for another 3 – 5 minutes under medium heat.
- 4Add spinach at the end and season with vegetable broth and salt. Remove pot form heat and do not cover.
- 5. Enjoy with semolina or Eba.