Spinach is one of those vegetables that I cannot have enough of especially sautéed with the least of ingredients. I never really knew that there were different species of spinach untill I came to Germany. Back home, we used the small leaf pale green spinach (also known as Ceylon Spinach or waterleaf) for Eru and other soups so in my search for spinach, I had no other picture in mind.
I was quite surprised to find that what is called spinach here is nothing like spinach back home: European spinach is dark green with larger leaves. The only similarity is in the softness of the leaves and the almost neutral taste.
Here is my easy peasy sautéed spinach recipe. This dish is great for supper with or without tubers but best served with ripe plantain or cassava.
Happy and healthy cooking xoxo
Easy Sautéed Spinach
1kg frozen Spinach
2 large Onion
4 large fresh Tomatoes
4 tablespoons Palm oil
1 handful of Crayfish
1 smoked Mackerel
Vegetable bouillon cube
Salt to taste
- Remove seeds from tomatoes and cut into dice. Chop onions too.
- Defrooze spinach then squeeze extra water out using your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan, but do not use bleach. Add tomato and onions sautée briefly. Add fish let cook 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Add spinach and crayfish and sautée for another 5 minutes.
- 5. Enjoy with plantain or cassava.