I went to the fish market to get my weekly ration of fruits and vegetables and was surprised to find that fresh spinach was still in season. This time of the year? To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised! It really is amazing how much a bunch of green leaves can brighten up ones day, taking into consideration that we don’t find our favorites foods often in these parts.
Spinach is a super food loaded with tons of nutrients in a low calorie package. Including dark leafy greens like spinach in your breakfast is important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. What healthier way to include spinach in breakfast than making spinach omelette for breakfast?
In case your a newbie to spinach, you should know the fastest and healthiest way to cleaning your fresh spinach. Trust me, washing your spinach properly before cooking is essential to removing grites and sand.
THE BEST WAY TO WASH SPINACH
- Add 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to a large bowl of cold water.
- Soak spinach leaves in water for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and drain.
SmartCooks Tip: Soak fresh fruits and vegetables in Apple Cider Vinegar to kill microbes!
Now that you know the secret of cleaning your spinach, we can move on to zeelicious stuff, how to make spinach omelettes! Using just 3 eggwhites and 1 whole egg, tomatoes and extra virgin Olive oil, you can make your own nutrient-rich, high fibre breakfast. Want to make it hot, add habareno peppers or my special hot sauye make from habanero peppers, garlic, onions and white pepper.
Enjoy your omellete with oven-grilled plantains, sweet potatoes or whole wheat bread. Zeeliciousness garanteed! Does this Omelette recipe seem too good to be true? I’ll let you judge for yourself. Go ahead and try it and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Happy and Healthy Cooking!
3 Eggwhites, whisked
1 Whole Egg, whisked
1/4 Onion, chopped
1/2 Tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin Olive Oil
25g Spinach, chopped
White pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat pan at medium heat and add olive oil.
- Then add onion and tomatoes stir-fry for 2 mins.
- Add whisked eggs and fry on both sides for a 1 mins each
- Serve hot with oven-roasted ripe plantains or boiled sweet potatoes.
- 1. Use any spice of your choice. Include garlic, ginger and habanero pepper if you like it spicy and hot.