I have recently been doing alot of research on the benefits of a gluten-free diet because a children friend of mine is visiting in a week. I actually thought it will be quite difficult to serve food without gluten untill I realized most of our African foods are gluten-free.
Sweet potato is my all-time favorite tuber, not only because it is gluten free and has a low glycemic index but also because it is sweet!
Here’s a great breakfast recipe, I can’t wait for you to try. It’s easy to make and taste just great.
Happy and healthy cooking xoxo
Do you have special nutritional needs and would like one-on-one service? Then consult with us. We will work with you to meet them.
Sweet Potato Pancake
This is a quick, easy and healthy gluten-free sweet treat for breakfast that the whole family will enjoy. Serve with your favorite jam for more sweetness.
300-350g Sweet Potatoes
3 Egg Whites
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tsp. extra virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp. grated Nutmeg
1 fresh Vanilla stem
- Either oven-grill or steam potatoes steam cooked.
- Remove skin, scoop into a food processor, add eggs, grated nutmeg and vanilla.
- Processor to a fine paste.
- In a hot pan, make a pancake with 2 tablespoons of batter.
- Let pancake cook for 3-4 minutes per side on low heat.
- Serve with fresh strawberry puree.
- 1. To help sweet potatoes cook faster, using a fork, fork the pototoes.
- 2. When blending your potatoes, do not add water, since you are using eggs and the potato is soft enough.
- 3. Seperate your oil into two parts, blend one part with the other ingredients and use the other to coat the frying pan.