Many of you have complained that being on a low-carb/Keto African diet has this downside: there is no variety in the meals. We eat the same things over and over and over. It is always baked chicken, salad, eggs or soups. I know, sometimes it can get really boring if you are not creative. So here is a recipe that makes for a great breakfast, lunch or dinner meal – sauteed sardine and veggies.
How I came up with the idea of Sauteed Sardine
I made keto fish pies the other day. Needless to say that the fish filling was extra delicious. I chopped some onions, and bell peppers, added some spices and sardine fish to make the fish pie filling and believe me, I almost finished the whole sauce tasting as I filled the pies. Then it hit me! This sauteed sardine sauce could actually be eaten on its own for breakfast or lunch or even dinner! Why not? It’s easy to make and is really filling.
Health benefits of Sardine
Did you know that sardines are full of good-for-you fatty acids, high in protein, vitamin B12, D, calcium, and selenium? They are one of the highest sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids on the planet. These fatty acids, vitamins, and trace mineral elements help in the prevention of many diseases and promote overall health.
For this recipe, I used store-bought sardines for a quick fix. But you can also make your own sardine at home. The process is easy but cold take some time to get all cooked and ready. This sautéed sardine and veggies recipe works will with boiled sweet potatoes, ripe plantains or rice. You can even use it as a sandwich for bread depending on your nutritional needs.
Have you SUBSCRIBED to my YouTube channel yet? Every week, I post new video recipes, healthy tips, and tricks for weight loss, real talk, as well as African food and nutrition (Fooducation) videos. You can also follow my weight loss journey on my VLOG my Zeelicious life on SUPA TV. Subscribe and spread the word with friends and family so that no one misses out. I’ll be so glad and grateful to have you join my SUPA FAMILY. See you on YouTube love.
Now let’s get right to it!
- 300g sardine (tinned sardine or homemade)
- 1/2 green, red and yellow bell peppers each, cubed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped (or a pinch of dried garlic)
- Black pepper, curry powder to taste (just a pinch)
- Habanero pepper (optional)
- Salt and bouillon cube to taste
- Oil (use the oil from the sardine) or 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Seperate the sardine from the oil and add the oil to a pan. This should yield about 1 tbsp. of oil from 2 small tins of sardine (150g each).
- Add chopped onions and sautee till onions are transparent. Now add bell peppers, sardine fish and the other spices. Sautee for 5 minutes and serve.
- If you are using fresh sardine fish, make sure you cook the sardine fish. There is a recipe on how to make your own sardine on the blog. Please search homemade sardine.
- You can eat this with cucumber for breakfast if you are on a low carb diet like the Keto diet. If not, use, it to sandwich wholegrain bread, or to eat boiled plantain or yam.
- Make it a lunch meal and serve with boiled rice.
- This sauce can also be used as a filling to make fish pie.