We are going bananas with this simple whole-wheat banana bread. Ripe bananas are so naturally sweet and should be used as the sweetener in recipes like smoothies and pancakes . Here is our healthy version of banana bread, made with 100% whole-wheat flour and and mere 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (use honey if you cannot find this). We used a loaf baking pan but you could try it with muffin cups or other baking shapes for kids to bring fun and creativity into your kitchen. You could also peep it up with some nuts, raisins or dried fruits like apples. Enjoy!
Whole-Wheat Banana Bread
2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
¼ cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, maple sirup, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake large loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.
- 1. You can use any oil of choice
- 2. This recipe does not need any added sweetness because the ripe banana makes it really sweat but if you love it extra sweet you can substitute maple syrup with unrefined honey or unrefined cane sugar.