Zoodle frittata is one of the most uncomplicated, easy-to-make and healthy breakfast meals ever. It is made from eggs, butter, zucchini and seasoned with everyday spices. Well, this is the twisted version. Frittata is a word used to describe an egg-based fried meal enriched with lots of vegetables, butter, and cheese. For some time now, I have been watching my weight. Because of this, I am challenging myself to make healthier versions of my favorite foods. One of which is spaghetti frittata. Since I began my low-carb African diet based on Ketogenesis, I have refrained from eating starchy carbohydrates, at least until I have lost 10% of my current body weight.
What is zoodle frittata
Zoodles, noodles made from zucchini are the ideal replacement and the carb-free answer to pasta. They are easy to make with the help of some kitchen gadgets. Though a spiralizer is the perfect tool, zoodles are also be using a hand grater or a carrot peeler or even a knife.
Swapping pasta with zoodles for this dish is an arguable health upgrade. One cup of cooked pasta weighs in at 240 calories and 30g of carbohydrates as compared to 33 calories and 6g of carbs in zucchini noodles. More on the nutritive value of zoodles in THIS post.
How to make zoodle frittata
To make my zoodle frittata, I kept things simple. I omitted the cheese and butter and used everyday spices, eggs, and zucchini. Beat everything up in a bowl and fried it in a pan at low heat to allow excess water from the zucchini to dry out. It’s that easy and tastes super delicious too. Have you tried spiralized vegetables before? Not yet? Get a spiralizer and try spiralizing carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers and even sweet potatoes, yams and plantains. Be creative. You just might wow guest at your next special occasion.
Let’s make some shall we?
- 2 small zuchinni, spiralized
- 3 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- a pinch of ginger, ground or grated
- 1 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. basil (scent) leaves, chopped
- Habanero if you like it hot
- Seasoning cube
- Sea salt
- Beat eggs with all ingredients.
- Add spiralized zuchinni, season with cube and salt.
- Add butter or olive oil to a hot non-stick pan and pour the zoodle mixture in it.
- Cook at low heat to let excess water dry up. Flip sides and cook till golden brown.
- Sprinkle some basil leaves on top and serve hot.